Making sure we get enough physical activity is vital to ensuring a healthy mind and body.
The recommended guidelines are to fulfil 5 x 30 minutes a week of moderate physical activity.
Being active has many benefits. It:
- reduces the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, osteoporosis, diabetes and obesity.
- reduces some of the effects of ageing
- will keep joints, tendons and ligaments flexible
- helps maintain a healthy weight by increasing metabolism
- can relieve stress and anxiety and make you feel happier
- increases energy and endurance levels
To stay healthy or to improve health, adults need to do two types of physical activity each week: aerobic and muscle-strengthening activity. How much physical activity you need to do each week depends on your age.
LiveWire Liverpool Health Trainers can advise you on different kinds of exercise and signpost you to further help to keep you active.